So far so... (Updated June 19)

So, the summer reading list so far, some of been good, some great, some not so great...

The Great

I ended up devouring Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series and now have to wait till stinkin August 2nd to get the 4th and last of the series!!! I picked up the first with much trepidation thinking if I liked it I'd get the other two - I was about 2 chapters in before I high tailed it to Borders to buy the rest! (Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn comes out Aug 2)

Leif Enger's Peace Like a River - this book is amazing, the writing is so poignant and I connected with the characters within the first chapter! I can't wait to read another one of his books.

Thomas H. Cook's Places in the Dark - not so much a who done it but how did it happen type of murder mystery. The mystery unfolds to the reader as well as the characters involved so you feel like you are apart of the mystery rather than watching it from a distance.

The Good

Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen - Peta lovers do not read, a bit dark in places but overall a very good book with a great story (this I would put between great and good)

Secret of Lost Things, Sheridan Hay - characters ranging from the odd to pathetic, of course that makes for an interesting story

The People's Act of Love, James Meek - challenging but really a good story, could possibly be classified as historical fiction...great learning tool.


The Not So Good

The Year of the Fog, Michelle Richmond - I will never read another child kidnapping story again, it's just too much!!

And New to the List

1. The Other by David Guterson
2. Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri


Original list and recommendations

0 comments: